- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter)or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Combine the lentils, water, turmeric, coriander, and ginger in a stockpot.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low and cover. Simmer for 30 minutes or until the lentils are fully cooked and soft.
- Turn off the heat and add the salt.
- In a large saucepan, warm up the ghee over moderate heat and add the cumin seeds to sauté for a minute or so, or until they turn brown and release their aroma.
- Pour the lentils into the saucepan and cover to allow the seasoning to blend, about 2 minutes. Garnish with cilantro.