Shad Rasa Ahar – 6 Tastes in Meal
Ayurveda has developed a very simple dietary program – the SIX TASTES. It teaches that all six tastes (Sweet, Sour, Salty, Bitter, Pungent, Astringent) should be eaten at every meal for us to feel satisfied and to ensure that all major food groups and nutrients are represented. Much of the wisdom of Ayurvedic nutrition rests on the tip of your tongue, literally!
- MADHURA Rasa – SWEET Taste
Effects on Health – increases the general body resistance against a disease. It helps to increase the body tissues, it enhances the OJAS, or the vital energy.
Foods that have Sweet taste – Grains, Lentils, Fruits, Dairy, Nuts, Honey, Jaggery.
Lördagen den 7 november 12-15
Vi börjar dagen med ett föredrag om Ayurveda (engelska, med översättning vid behov)
Ayurveda, eller kunskapen om livet (ayur: kunskap, veda:liv), är en indisk läkekonst med tusenåriga anor från den vediska kulturen. I ayurveda är åtgärder för att bibehålla en god hälsa väl så viktiga som att bota och lindra sjukdomar.
Efter föredraget ger Dr. (Vaidya) Tejal Athavle-Limaye kortare hälsokonsultationer för 200kr. Marie Svensson och Ewa Ahlsén ger kortare ayurvediska behandlingar för 100kr. Antal platser är begränsade för konsultation och behandling. Under dagen tar vi endast emot kontant betalning.
Under dagen kan du även göra bokningar till hälsokonsultation och alla ayurvediska behandlingar med en rabatt på 25%.
Föranmälan kan göras till Tejal, email@example.com
Today is World Heart Day :
Ayurveda recommends special healing therapy for Heart: Hrid Basti
Hrid means Heart and Basti means the container or retainer. Hrid basti is a procedure in which a ring of dough is placed around the heart area which is then filled with medicated oil that has been warmed to body temperature. Warm, herbal oil is left on your chest for up to 30 minutes. This is also an effective therapy for emotional healing.
Benefits of Hrid Basti :
- Pacifies aggravated Vata dosha in the chest region
- Nourishes and strengthens the cardiac muscles, thus rejuvenate the heart
- Regulates cardiac functions.
- Relieves deep-seated emotions- stress, anger and grief
- Improves blood circulation and breathing
Ghee, (clarified butter) has been used in India for thousands of years. Ayurveda considers it as a Rasayana, a rejuvenating and longevity promoting food, and to be the first and most complete food on earth. Since in Ghee the lactose and other milk solids are removed in the process, makes it suitable for lactose intolerant people.
Ghee can be eaten pure or mixed with various herbs depending on the symptoms. Ghee has a high smoke point, meaning it can be cooked at high temperatures without burning. Use ghee to fry or sauté your favorite foods to produce flavorful dishes.
Ghee is best stored at room temperature and is said to get better with age, such as fine wine. The key, however, is to always use a clean spoon when taking Ghee from the jar.
Benefits of Ghee-
- Considered as a Rasayana, because it supports the functioning of the brain, and promotes all three aspects of the mind, learning, memory and recall.
- Increases ones immunity and vital energy (Ojas).
- The proper amount enhances Agni (digestion fire), but too much Ghee has the opposite effect. In general, you can eat one teaspoon twice a day. Since Ghee is more flavorful than other cooking oils, a little goes a long way.
- Helps to reduce excess stomach acid, and maintain/repair the mucus lining of the stomach.
- Enhances flavor of foods, increases absorption of nutrients and pacifies all three doshas, especially Vata and Pitta.
- Ghee is the most easily digestible fat, and it contains Vitamin A and E and acts as an antioxidant.
- It helps mobilize fats from stubborn fat areas of the body.
- Ghee in moderation increases the good cholesterol, HDL, which is necessary to lubricate tissues and nourish the bones and cartilage. Do not take more than three teaspoons a day.
Avoid ghee at high levels of cholesterol, triglycerides or sugar in the blood. Always consult a Ayurvedic physician before taking ghee in these cases.
Ghee against common complaints
- Constipation Take 1 tablespoon of ghee in hot milk / rice milk at night before you go to bed.
- Dry skin 1 tbsp ghee on food during a day.
- Dry nose, headache and fatigue Put a drop of ghee in each nostril in the morning when you wake up.
- Headache with heat in the body and eyes caused by high pitta- Massage the soles of the feet with ghee.
- Burning sensation in the hands and feet Massaging the body parts with ghee.
- Migraines, for the freshness of mind and memory 2 drops of ghee in the nostrils in the morning.
Coriander seed powder is the most cooling spice in spice remedies.
Your Kitchen Pharmacy – 6. Coriander Seed Powder
How to use Coriander seed powder in cooking : Add 1/2 to 1 tsp of coriander seed powder to sauces, curries, soups in cooking. Also use in salad dressing or to make chutney. Fresh cilantro can be used in making chutneys or used mostly as a garnish on many dishes.
Health benefits : Coriander seeds are highly recommended spice in daily practice as it has most cooling effect, hence antidote to all heating spices. It can be used in all inflammatory conditions. Great for digestive as well as urinary system. Excellent for skin rashes and burning. Used with fennel seeds and cumin seeds, it can improve digestive strength as well as help detox.
Your Kitchen Pharmacy – 5. Cayenne powder
Don’t fear Cayenne powder, moderate use of this spice is recommended in daily use as medicine. Cayenne pepper improves heart health, making it stronger. Moderate use of Cayenne in curries and gravies may help prevent cardiac conditions by improving cardiac health. ( To much use of cayenne can be heating hence is not recommended)
How to use Cayenne powder in cooking : Add pinch or 1/8th or 1/4th tsp of cayenne powder (depending upon your spice level) to sauces, gravies, soups or curry preparation of any vegetables, lentils or meat dishes. ( Pitta people or people with inflammatory conditions or sensitive GI track should avoid this spice as it can be irritating to intestinal mucus membrane.)
Health benefits : Cayenne powder can be valuable medicine if used in moderation mentioned above. It has wonderful properties to improve circulation, it is food to digestive fire ( again used in moderation), so the digestive fire burns toxins (AMA), especially in colon. It improves circulation hence improve cardiac health. It pacifies Vata and Kapha hence beneficial for nerve tissue and also for sinus conditions, to fight cold and also maintains body weight.